Settling in the UK

If you have been given permission to stay in the UK temporarily on a visa or you are the family member or partner of a British citizen or someone who has settled in the UK, you may be able to apply for settlement.

For your application to be successful, you must meet the eligibility criteria. If you have a visa, these criteria vary depending on the immigration category you are in and the amount of time you have been living in the UK. For example, if you have been living in the UK on a Tier 1 visa for a continuous 5 year period, you must pass the Life in the UK Test, an English language test and score 75 or 80 points under the points-based system.

If you are a family member or partner of a British citizen or someone who has settled in the UK, you will need to have been living in the UK on a partner of a settled person visa for a continuous period of either 2, 5 or 10 years. The period depends on the date you applied for your visa. You must also pass the Life in the UK Test and an English language test.

We also advise on various settlement and nationaility applications including:

  • British Citizenship and ILR (settlement) applications;
  • Long Residence Applications;
  • Family reunion applications;
  • Registration for adults;
  • EEA residency applications;

We also specialise in immigration applications for children which includes registration of children under care orders and derivative rights applications.

Visiting the UK for a long period of time or moving here permanently can be an exciting and life-changing experience. It can also be a complicated process, involving complex immigration categories and rules.

Whether you want to work in the UK, become a UK resident or settle without being subject to time restriction, we have the expertise and skills to get you, and your family, where you want to be.

Staying in the UK Permanently - Indefinite Leave to Remain

Once you have been granted a visa and in the UK, it may be possible to stay on a permanent basis and for your family members to apply to join you. Please contact us for more advice about your options and the application process. You can also find out more information on the types of visa we can help you with here.

Contact Merchiston’s Specialist Immigration Lawyers

Our specialist immigration lawyers can guide you and your family through the process of applying to stay in the UK. Contact us today to see how we can help. Call 0203 540 6340 to speak to one of expert solicitors. Alternatively, please email us or complete the form below.

Contact Us

  1. Your Name(*)
    Please let us know your name.
  2. Subject
    Please write a subject for your message.
  1. Your Email(*)
    Please let us know your email address.
  2. Your Telephone Number
    Invalid Input
  1. Message(*)
    Please let us know your message.
  2. Please enter the characters shown(*)
    Please enter the characters shown
    Invalid Input

30, Dukes Place





T: +44 (0) 203 5406340

Get legal advice now +44 (0) 203 5406340