Long Residence in the UK

If you have been living in the UK legally, for an unbroken and continuous 10 year period without breaching your visa terms, and want to be able to stay permanently, you may be able to make a long residence application. It is difficult to establish long residence applications if you have been in the UK unlawfully as you have to evidence that you have been here for 20 years.

Applying under the 10 year Rule

Permission or leave to remain can be granted to any, or a combination of immigration categories. The 10 year period runs either from when you arrived in the UK on your visa or when you were given leave to remain. For the period to be considered continuous, you can only leave the UK for 539 days in total and for up to 180 days on one visit abroad.

A child under 18 or a partner of an individual with leave to remain can apply separately as a dependant in order to join you. The same eligibility requirements apply. If they are not able to apply separately and the individual is granted settlement, they can apply to remain in the UK as the partner of a settled person. We will guide you through the process to help you make the right applications.

Immigration Solicitors, London

Contact our specialist immigration lawyers to see whetehr you qualify for settlement under the 10 or 20 year rules. Call 0203 540 6340 to speak to one of expert solicitors. Alternatively, email us at contactus@merchistonsolicitors.co.uk or complete the form below.


Contact Us

  1. Your Name(*)
    Please let us know your name.
  2. Subject
    Please write a subject for your message.
  1. Your Email(*)
    Please let us know your email address.
  2. Your Telephone Number
    Invalid Input
  1. Message(*)
    Please let us know your message.
  2. Please enter the characters shown(*)
    Please enter the characters shown
    Invalid Input

30, Dukes Place





T: +44 (0) 203 5406340
E: contactus@merchistonsolicitors.co.uk

Get legal advice now +44 (0) 203 5406340